1 large onion
1 medium green bell pepper
1 medium red bell pepper
8 ounces button mushrooms
2 medium tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) block mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 frozen or refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough, defrosted
Non-stick cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
15 (2-inch diameter) turkey pepperoni slices
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rinse and peel onion. Rinse peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Dice onion, peppers, and tomatoes into ½-inch pieces. Slice mushrooms ¼-inch thick.
- Grate cheese.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions, mushrooms, and peppers. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a colander. Stir in tomatoes. Let sit 3–5 minutes to drain excess liquid.
- While veggies are draining, shape dough into a 12-inch pizza round. Use your fingers to stretch and spread the dough.
- Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place pizza dough in center of sheet.
- Mix dried basil and dried oregano into tomato sauce. If using dried parsley, add now. Spread a layer of sauce across dough.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly across dough. If using turkey pepperoni, add a layer of slices now.
- Bake pizza until cheese is melted and crust is browned on the sides and bottom, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Add vegetable mixture. Return to oven and bake until pizza is cooked through, 5–10 minutes more. Remove from oven.
- Let rest for 2 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 pieces.
Look for prepared whole wheat pizza dough in the refrigerator section of your store.
Try making a calzone. Lightly coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Lay dough on sheet. Cover half the dough with sauce, cheese, and veggies. Fold the dough in half over toppings and seal the edges. Bake for 6 minutes. Turn over, then bake an extra 6 minutes.
Top pizza with any seasonal veggies you like. Try broccoli, red onion, zucchini, or others.
*Adapted from Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters.®